Skate Canada Nova Scotia is excited to announce the Inaugural Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony on Saturday, June 10th at 7:00 pm at the University Club, Dalhousie Campus.
Those to be honoured include:
Marie McNeil Bowness (Bedford) & Robert McCall, (1958 – 1991)
- 1981 Senior Canadian Dance Champions and World Team Members
Louise Mathers (Halifax)
- Level 3 coach who inspired skaters of all ages within the Halifax Regional Municipality from the moment they stepped onto the ice to the winning of National medals.
- After being diagnosed with Parkinson’s, she continued to coach courageously, losing her battle earlier this year.
Jane MacLellan (Halifax)
- Jane was instrumental in bringing the World to Halifax as the Chairperson of the 1990 World Figure Skating Championships.
- Funds raised from that event have helped the skating community in Nova Scotia for over 25 years including support for the Emera Oval.
Jim Gavin (Halifax)
- Jim was a technical leader in ensuring that Nova Scotia skaters experienced the best program sound quality on the ice.
- He led not only as skating’s local music technician, but also influenced and helped many others at a plethora of national and international events for well over a decade.
Officials (all Judges):
Mary Beazley (Halifax)
- Mary volunteered for more than 30 years.
- Awarded posthumously
Shirley Beckman (Halifax)
- Shirley is the only NS volunteer official to receive a 50-year service pin from Skate Canada for her time as a judge.
Edmund Boyd (Halifax)
- Age 92.
- Edmund received his 25-year volunteer pin more than 30 years ago.
Sue Burke (Greenwood)
- Sue was a NS Section Chair and a Gold Level Senior judge specializing in the synchronized skating discipline.
Jean Milsom (Halifax)
- Age 91.
- Jean was a NS Section Chair and a Gold Level Senior judge.
- She skated with Barbra Ann Scott in the 1940’s
- She became a judge in the 1950’s continuing as an official for 40 years.
David Youle (Halifax)
- Age 94
- David was the first NS Section Chair and a Senior Judge.
- He started volunteering in 1939 continuing for many years.
- He was the oldest volunteer at the 2011 Canada Winter Games held in NS.
More information can be obtained by contacting email@example.com or 902-425-5450